List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Do you need two more helping hands?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-01-05 2:16:24

Jens Bäckman wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been reading the KDE traffic mailings for a while now, and see that
> there is always a note about the lack of developers almost every time
> KOffice is mentioned. After using KDE 3.1 as my primary desktop at work
> for a year and running various Linux distributions from 1997, I decided
> that it was time to take action.
>
> A little something about myself and my skills... I have been programming
> for thirteen years now, which is practically half of my life. Started
> with Basic, moved on to C and later on Assembler. Learned C++, Java and
> OO techniques in 1997 as I got accepted as a software engineer in Mid
> Sweden University. Graduated in 2000, and was hired for embedded
> programming immediately.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm currently a novice at Qt, and know nothing about the
> structure of either KDE or KOffice. Nothing that a week or two of
> reading documentation and source code won't remedy. So - do you need my
> help, and which part of KOffice should I focus on?

Glad to see another software engineer.  My primary skills are Numerical Analysis and
Fortran although I can write the same programs in C.  I am trying to figure C++ out.

You can probably start out by fixing bugs since general programing skills are what is
needed there.

Since everybody else is making suggestions, I think that the widgets that pop-up when you
start the Parts or start them as applications need work.  They are logically inconsistent
and confusing.  Please see:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice&m=106980373031300&w=2
http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice&m=106983575422578&w=2

and other postings in that thread.