List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Kexi MIME types
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-12-29 8:17:37

Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Monday 29 December 2003 08:41, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Nicolas Goutte wrote:

>>>The official kdelibs mime type for Kexi is application/x-vnd.kde.kexi
>>>
>>>(All new KDE mime types should use vnd.kde but unfortunately people do
>>>not care about it (see KWallet for example.))
>>>
>>>Have a nice day!
>>
>>Thanks for the info.
>>
>>Should I redo the patch for the KOffice MIME types to conform to that? or
>>should the old application's MIME types be left as they are?  Since I still
>>have the files and trees, it wouldn't take very long.
>

> No, we are in feature freeze.
>
> Renaming mime types has consequences. Also do not forget that KDE 3.1 has no
> isAlso property in .desktop files so that you cannot rename mime types. (That
> is mainly why it is still apllication/x-kword instead of the IANA-registered
> application/vnd.kword.)

That means that the only possibility would be to add the correct MIME types in addition to
the old ones.  But that should wait for 3.3 since it isn't a bug fix.  This isn't pretty,
but it is the same situation that exists with other application MIME types.

> That are parts of the things that will have to be discussed and done for
> KOffice 1.4. As we will change file formats anyway, it is even easier to
> change the mimetype.

Thanks for the info.  I think that I will have a nice night and go to bed.

--
JRT