List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Names for KOffice's MIME type icons
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-12-19 15:28:49

On Friday 19 December 2003 08:05, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Nicolas Goutte wrote:

> >>Sort of begs the question as other applications define their own MIME
> >>types. :-)
> >>
> >>Oh, well.
> >
> > The theory is that all mime types needed by KDE should be in kdelibs. Of
> > course, as KOffice supports 2 versions of KDE it is a little difficult,
> > therefore koffice/mimetypes/kde31 was created to add the missing mime
> > types existing in KDE 3.2 but not in KDE 3.1. (The mime icon situation is
> > perhaps even uglier in koffice/mimetypes/kde31 as for example the OO ones
> > are using the same (non-KDE) icons as OO, which was changed in KDE 3.2 to
> > use KDE icons.)
>
> OK, that makes sense.
>
> One slight problem: Kexi.
>
> If you search KOffice-1.3 and KDELibs-3.2 for: "x*kexi*.desktop" you will
> find that there is a slight disagreement on the MIME type(s).
>
> Should I submit a bug report on this?

Yes, I think so. Only application/x-vnd.kde.kexi is defined in kdelibs.

And I will not ask why the newest Kexi mimetypes are not in the form
x-vnd.kde. Sigh!

So here again: please, if you are defining new mime types for KDE, they have
to start with x-vnd.kde, so that they could be officially registered one day
or another (then without the x-)

> --
> JRT

Have a nice day!