List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KSpread Geometric series bug
From:       "Studiecentrum voor Taiji vzw" <taiji () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-11-21 16:10:16

There is a bug with the geometric series feature in KSpread
which may be related to bug 42134 (status CLOSED since 13/05/2002).

When the step value is greater than 1 there seems to be no problem.

But with a stepvalue less than 1 I experienced the following :

start 10, stop 1, step 0.5 = result 10, 5, 2.5, 1.25 so OK
start 10, stop 0.01, step 0.5 = result 10, 5, 2.5, ... 0.01953125 so OK
start 10, stop unchanged at 0.00, step 0.5 = result...the process doesn't
terminate which is logical because the series never reaches zero, but there
really should be an error message
start 10, stop 0.001 (edited in the input field), step 0.50 = result same as
previous example, so the value is not only formatted back to 0,00 but also
internally set back to zero?

As there was something wrong with this feature before (there are some
messages in
kdevelop mailing list archives and the bug has been "closed" I wonder if
somebody could tell me more before I take a look at it. Especially because
this would be my first try at contributing to KOffice.

Should I put this bug into the bug database?

Also I noticed that in the source code the option was to handle linear and
geometric series side by side. The consequence is a lot of "if...then..else"
constructs in the dialog and in the function call. I feel that it makes
things way
to complicated and I wonder what the consequence will be if we incorporate
some other "data fill" functionality? Wouldn't it be better to but one
"if...then...else" or even a "case..."
at the beginning and make a totally separate logic?

I ask this because after fixing the bug I would like to contribute something
else
and as a beginning programmer it is not easy to find something that is not
too complicated or too involved to set my teeth in.

Regards

Marc