List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    embedded, ruler, bounding box
From:       dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de
Date:       2003-11-21 9:40:15

Hi,

currently I played around a little with the embedding features of KOffice
(current CVS snapshot). I used a KWord document and tried to embed a
Karbon document. Some thoughts:

- Each application uses its own ruler. Would it be possible to somehow use
a shared ruler, i.e. that the embedded document can be displayed in terms
of the container coordinates? Is this technically possible? What changes
would be needed to implement such functionality?

- Even if I specified a document size for the object to embed in KWord
(lets say a bounding box of ( 1cm, 1cm, 5cm, 5cm) - i.e. it starts at 1cm,
1cm starting from the upper left edge of the KWord document, with a width
and height of 5cm - the Karbon document uses its own document size, namely
the document starts at 0,0 with a document size of A4 - 8" width, 11"
height.
It is possible to somehow communicate the intended document size to the
container application? Is it possible to use a shared coordinate system?

I know that this is rather complicated because of the fact that Qt's
QPainter has no implicit transformation matrix like e.g. the Postscript
rendering model.
The question is if such a functionality is technically possible and
implementable?

Regards
Dirk