List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: How to publish errata?
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-10-28 21:32:57

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 19:51, Lauri Watts wrote:
> On Monday 27 October 2003 22.31, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > As the KWord documentation has known errors (old new file dialog, errors
> > in filter documentations), I have asked me the question how to make an
> > errata and especially how to distribute it.
> >
> > The problem is that http://www.koffice.org would perhaps be a natural
> > place to have such an errata, but the KOffice Site is not translated, so
> > the information will not get to the users.
>
> My best proposal is to work on the docs in HEAD, bring them up to date with
> the release if and when there are some free hands to do so, and direct
> people to the updated versions on docs.kde.org.   You're not planning
> another KOffice release for some time are you? Not having to compile a CVS
> version and deal with the instability this implies would greatly improve my
> chances of finding people willing to work on these docs.

So if I have understood correctly, after the release of KOffice 1.3 (or at
least the creation of its CVS branch), we correct the documentation in CVS
HEAD.

Yes, that is interesting and, as you write, give other people the chances to
write the documentation.

> However, not all languages are available on docs.kde.org (yet..., perhaps
> we could talk to Daniel about bringing in the other languages, I know Erik
> Pedersen would dearly like to see Danish available there.)

The advantage compared to my idea is that it would give people a complete
documentation instead of only a lists of corrections.

> Another possibility is to branch the docs ,and do a separate "KOffice Docs"
> tarball at some future date.

Yes, this is a good idea too, an idea which can be postponed until people will
really start to work on the KOffice 1.4 documentation.

> This is really down to me, I'm really sorry about the state of the KOffice
> docs this time around, but with nearly all the existing KOffice doc
> maintainers leaving, I just didn't get all the rewrites done by myself (and
> there was a schedule miscommunication, I was under the impression that the
> freeze began some time before it apparently actually did.)

Well we are all sad about how KOffice 1.3 is looking. It is not only the
documentations. Nearly everybody was not in the condition to do as much work
as for KOffice 1.2, some (like me) were even unable to work on KOffice for
weeks.

My idea is just to try to save what still can be saved, especially if KOffice
1.4 would only come in summer 2005. (I am estimating that, with the current
manpower and for the planned tasks for KOffice 1.4, we would need 18 months
to be done. (As written before, that is only my personal estimation, without
guarantee, very subjective etc. It also heavily depends on the availabilty of
Qt 4.0 final and KDE 4.0 final.))

> Regards

Have a nice day!