List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    [RFC] KOffice's developers pages
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-10-05 21:56:43

I was thinking about developing (a little) the KOffice developers' pages, at
least if nobody works on them.

The reason is that the filters are still not included in them and anyway there
are little developer data apart the apidoc.

One of the problems is to find a name:
- KOffice's Developer Page
- KOffice's Developer Room
- KOffice's Developer Gate
- KOffice's Developer Bridge
- KOffice's Developer Home
- KOffice's Developer Planet
- KOffice's Developer Site

I would avoid the name "corner". If we want to attract new developers, we
should not send them to the corner, that is counter-productive. (I like
"Bridge" for this reason.)

As for the contents, well, anybody is invited to add a few ideas.

I thought about adding a developer FAQ. KOffice's problems differ enough from
the general KDE ones that I think it would be perhaps better.

Then in the middle/long term I would like to make a filter tutorial (of course
oriented toward the OO formats.)

My idea is to take the new programmer to make a full filter for KWord with
real life problems. I have found that a plain text filter, then added with
BBCode and smilies (like in forums) might be a good idea. The "foreign"
format can be edited in an editor but you touch advanced domains like
character formatings, dialogs, encodings, URLs and images (inclusive remote
ones.)

I have thought about other people making similar tutorials for the other
KOffice applications. An editable simple format would be the best but on the
other side it should explain more advanced concepts to the new developer. (My
ideas: mini-SVG for Karbon, mini-GNUPlot for KChart, (mini-)CSV or fixed
colums for KSpread.)

I do think that it is not a problem to double already existing filters. We
need to make filters that are explainable instead of duty filters for real
life files (with all their exceptions and tricks that makes the understanding
difficult.)

Then perhaps I had also the idea of a tutorial for programming outside KOffice
for KOffice. As OO 1.1 has a pure XML format, this could perhaps open
interesting ways. (First (crazy) idea: writing a KSpread sheet in FORTRAN.)

Well, that are the ideas that I have for the developers' pages. I am sure that
I *cannot* do it alone, so any volunteer is very welcomed.

Have a nice day!