List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice developers' meeting questions
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2003-09-04 21:13:08

> I think we need two different things, and they are not exclusive.

> * We need Qt4's QPainter for drawing all those sorts of texts from KWord
and
> KPresenter - including support for WYSIWYG - zoom and printing - and e.g.
kerning.

> * We need KPainter for vector drawing applications and for "word art"
> in KWord/KPresenter, i.e.  "postscript/SVG style, vector paths,
> transparency / antialiased rendering".

Would it be possible to implement Qt4 text engine in terms of KPainter, e.g.
by extending KPainter API with the necessary methods, things like
drawGlyph(uint glyph, QWMatrix&)?

What would be needed for that?

> OTOH Lars mentionned that the text layout classes would be public, and
> independent from how you draw text (but dependent on QFontMetrics I
assume).
> Better ask him, I feel I'm relaying information without really knowing all
of it.

Somehow Tomasz thought it was necessary to introduce KFontMetrics, i.e. an
own implementation for KPainter.
I don't know enough about text rendering to be able to tell if this is relly
necessary.
Tomasz claims it is necessary to e.g. fetch kerning information.

Does there already exists information about Qt4 QFontMetrics?

Regards
Dirk