List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice developers' meeting questions
From:       David Faure <dfaure () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2003-09-04 20:41:06

On Thursday 04 September 2003 19:21, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:

> > > I don't see why QPainter shouldn't be able to do those things?
> >
> > Well, I just haven't heard that such (big IMO) changes are going to
> > happen... I think it SHOULD but I don't believe it WILL for Qt4 (or next
> > KOffice version).
> >
> As nobody objected one more question:
> Is it possible that KWord will use diffrent painter (than QPainter) provided
> that such a painter would exist and would be considerably better (than
> QPainter)?

Sure - but do you really plan to implement full Hebrew/Arabic (RTL) support
as well as Hindic support etc. etc.?

I think we need two different things, and they are not exclusive.

* We need Qt4's QPainter for drawing all those sorts of texts from KWord and
KPresenter - including support for WYSIWYG - zoom and printing - and e.g. kerning.

* We need KPainter for vector drawing applications and for "word art"
in KWord/KPresenter, i.e.  "postscript/SVG style, vector paths,
transparency / antialiased rendering".

Hmm
OTOH Lars mentionned that the text layout classes would be public, and
independent from how you draw text (but dependent on QFontMetrics I assume).
Better ask him, I feel I'm relaying information without really knowing all of it.

--
David Faure -- faure@kde.org, dfaure@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer