List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Using the KOffice API's in new projects
From:       David Faure <dfaure () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2003-05-28 21:43:47

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 22:57, Jeff McLean wrote:
> I didn't see the koffice-devel package on the koffice site.  Oops.  That
> solves part of my problem.  Is there anyway to get a devel package for
> Karbon?  Or would it be a better idea to just use the koffice APIs to make
> my application more portable?

This isn't about portability, it's about code duplication - i.e. how much of
karbon you could reuse. I'll let you discuss that with the karbon developers.

> Qt question:  How come there is no use of QCanvasView anywhere in the
> koffice headers?  Wouldn't you need to subclass QCanvasView in order to get
> functionality like capturing mouse events on canvases?

QCanvas use integer coordinates, that's definitely not precise enough for
an office suite application.

(Someone talked about a KoCanvas with floating point coordinates and zoom
support etc. But I think the libkarbon effort goes much further anyway).

Capturing mouse events can be done in any widget - see kword's KWCanvas,
for instance. Or the QWidget documentation :)

--
David Faure -- faure@kde.org, dfaure@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer