List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Uml-devel] Re: karbon/umbrello
From:       "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2003-05-28 8:48:54

> I understand that, its good you see the higher level picture, because I
> sometimes surely dont see it :)
> BTW speaking of canvas, maybe we should take a look at
> http://wxart2d.sourceforge.net/ for canvas ideas.
> Cheers,

Sounds very interesting, and sounds alot like the design of Karbon.
Features I saw while quick browsing:

- like Karbon, it uses its own tool framework, which doesn't matters in the
wxWindows case, but it would matter in a KDE application case
- wxart2d defines no explicit controller, so no pluggable behaviour for you
- wxart2d defines its own rendering classes, like VPainter / KPainter
- wxart2d seems to use the hierarchical document approach, like Karbon. I
think such an approach is necessary for being able to render parts of the
document optimized. I'm still not quite sure about how this mixes with
implicit state, i.e. the affine transformation matrices model.
- wxart2d seems to vector paths objects as part of the canvas hierarchy,
ei.e. like VComposite
- pins - pins are children of a canvas elements. Connections between canvas
elements use these pins. Interesting idea.

Regards
Dirk