List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    using pdftotext from xpdf
From:       Daniel Naber <daniel.naber () t-online ! de>
Date:       2003-05-25 18:29:32

Hi,

I saw that xpdf is now part of KOffice. The pdftotext from xpdf  would also
be useful for KFind, so that it can search in PDF files. I see the
following options:

1. KFind doesn't care about KOffice's xpdf and uses pdftotext as an
optional runtime "requirement". The user must then install xpdf if he
wants to search in PDF files.

2. KOffice installs pdftotext as a binary. The user can then install xpdf
or KOffice if he wants to search in PDF files.

3. Copy xpdf from KOffice to kdelibs so that it can be used as a library.

I  think 1. or 2. are the best options, as there will be other programs
like antiword which can only be "integrated" into KFind as an external
binary anyway. Opinions?

Regards
 Daniel

--