List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Uml-devel] Re: karbon/umbrello
From:       Andrew Sutton <asutton () mcs ! kent ! edu>
Date:       2003-05-21 14:44:03

> > i finally figured out why KPainter and VKoPainter seemed so similar...
> > hmm...
> > same code ;) some of it anyway.
>
>  As Dirk already mentioned, still some fundemental design differences...

i guess i missed that. i'm not seeing the fundamental design differences any
more. the only real differences i'm seeing are in how things are actually
drawn - OO command objects (the VObject hierarchy) vs. method commands
(lineTo, moveTo, etc.). not really so different.

>  Has your latest coding brought some new insights for umbrello2?

yes and no. the overall design hasn't changed. our notation classes (the ones
responsible for drawing) are still going to be derived from something in
there - either kshape or vcomposite. the difference is almost negligable. its
going to be a lot of work to hand code that stuff though, but there's too
many little variations that can be made to not hand code them. alas :)

>  BTW you may eant to have a look at OPAL (kudling.de/opal). Its supposed
> to become the new core for karbon. There is a ruby part which contains a
> lot
> of useful code, and a C++ part which I am constructing. Though you'll
> probably not need all path methods/algorithms for umbrello2, there also
> are building blocks there for a DOM, and that could be useful for
> umbrello2 as well, so I'd love to get some feedback on it before I do some
> stupid designing ;)
> BTW actual styling/stroking/filling is not outputted yet. Closest is eps
> and svg file export function (using visitors), which you can view using
> your favourite viewers :)

sounds neat. i'll take a look this afternoon.

andy