List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: A killer app for KOffice/KDE?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-17 15:45:29

On Saturday 15 February 2003 22:09, Adam Treat wrote:
> This started me thinking ...  KOffice (specifically KWord) can save
> documents as HTML right now and wouldn't it be interesting to take this
> feature and create a more ubiquitous network centric document publishing
> feature.  I am talking about combining the formidable document
> creation/editing facilities of the various KOffice apps and combining this
> with a web server/content management suite to create a network centric
> office suite.

Yup, that would kick ass. A document server with builtin revision control,
locking, merging, ACLs, web publishing and search indexes. And a facility
that gives out unique document names / numbers together with a short and
handy URL to reference such doc on the doc-server. You should be able to
define document templates that require specific meta-information to be
registered (e.g. customer number) and after storing such a document on the
server it should be automatically indexed so that you can get a list of all
documents related to a specific customer with one click.

I think all the building blocks are ready for it, you just need to tie them
together and make it a ready-to-run package. Pretty much like what the
kroupware project is doing with mail. If you manage to do that for documents
I think you have a real killer office app.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com