List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    [RFC] Limiting the file formats used by KoPicture (KWord/KPresenter)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-01-25 14:15:33

Currently in KoPicture, we assume that QImageIO can handle all image formats
used in KWord and KPresenter. However, it limits the portability of KWord and
KPresenter file formats, as a non-QT application could suddenly have to deal
with an image file format that it does not know.

Therefore, I would like to limit the file formats used by KoPicture to:

PNG (image/png)
JPEG (image/jpeg)
JPEG2000 (image/j2k)
EPS (image/x-eps)
SVG (image/svg+xml)

BMP (image/x-bmp)
WMF (image/x-wmf)
QPicture (image/x-vnd.trolltech.qpicture)

In a distant future, I would like to remove WMF and QPicture, but
currently it is not possible. In a less distant future and perhaps already for
KOffice 1.3, I would like to remove BMP too.

The advantage is, as already written, a better compactibility with non-QT
applications and theirs import filters. (You can see it similar to why we
limit KOffice's XML documents to be in UTF-8.)

An incovenient is that many image formats must be converted to PNG when an
image is inserted by the user or when loading a document (possibly by a
filter.)

A second incovenient is that export filters might have to convert again the
picture. However as no file format knows all of QT's image formats, all
export filters will need to have code to convert images. So these export
filters are not bloated.

Have a nice day/evening/night!