List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Koffice Icon Contest Proposal
From:       "ismail (cartman) donmez" <voidcartman () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-01-21 5:47:16

From the countless (!) replies you sent :-) and from the irc discussion on
irc.freenode.net #koffice I assume its indeed a good idea.

Then first we should decide on the announcement. I am thinking something like
this. (Comments are greatly appreciated)

P.S : Kexi is not mentioned because I dont know if it will be bundled with
Koffice 1.3. Is it?

P.P.S : Please try to focus more on starting paragraph and application
description when you comment.

Koffice Development Group is proud to announce "The  Icon Kontest" which will
be an icon creation contest for Koffice , integrated  office suite for KDE
Desktop Environment. With this contest we would like to get Koffice ready for
1.3 release visually. On the other hand, developers  are already working to
develop core system of Koffice. What we hope is to achieve better visual
appeal as good as its core.

Applying for "The Icon Kontest"

Everyone is free to enter the contest. You can apply alone or as a group of
designers. You should submit 2 materials :

1- Screenshot of all icons together at a reasonable size ( 22x22 or 32x32 )
2- And a link to the icon package ( You shouldn't send the whole package! )

All applications via e-mails should be sent to
some-reasonable-mailing-list@kde.org with the necessary material attached.

"The Icon Kontest" Timeline

Contest will be run for 1 month. After 1 month all icons will be examined by
core Koffice developers & Koffice users, and the artist/group who win the
contest will be announced in the following week .

Aim of "The Icon Kontest"

Our aim is basically to create a brand new Koffice with better User Interface
together with its powerful core.

Icons to Create :

In the context of the contest, every artist is supposed to create icons for
the following Koffice applications :

-- KoShell ( Work area for Koffice )
-- Kword ( Word Processing Suite )
-- KSpread ( Excel-like application )
-- KPresenter ( A presentation application similar to PowerPoint )
-- Krita ( An image creation/manipulation program )
-- Karbon14 ( A SVG creation/manipulation program )
-- Kformula ( A mathematical tool to create/edit formulas )
-- Kugar & Kugar Designer ( Report creating programs )
-- Kivio ( A Visio like application )

Not only main application icons but toolbar icons should also be designed as
well . Hence, every artist should  have a copy of a recent
version ( 1.2.1 ) of Koffice.

All Icon packages must contain 22x22, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64, 128x128 sized icons
for *main* application icons and 22x22, 32x32, 48x48 sized icons for the other
parts ( toolbars , menus etc ) .

Preferred icon format is PNG but SVG is acceptable too. Other icon formats
must be converted to one of these formats before submission.

The Award:

KDE ( as any other free software project ) is a non-profit organization. And
Koffice developers are just volunteers around the world gathered to
create free software. The award for the contest is the acknowledgement to the
winning designers in the Koffice source and all Koffice programs rather than
money.

Legal Issues :

All submitted icons must belong to the artist/ group who submits it. Icons
belonging any other 3rd party will not be accepted for the contest. Icon
licenses must be acceptable Open Source licenses ( GPL , LGPL , Artistic ,
MIT/X licenses are fine ).

"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to conquer the
world."

-- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.