List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: underlining etc.
From:       Tomasz Grobelny <grotk () poczta ! onet ! pl>
Date:       2003-01-16 18:57:01

On czw 16. stycznia 2003 18:59, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 04 January 2003 16:44, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> > As for now text is underlined with a line of width that is independent of
> > font size. For big fonts it doesn't look very well. So I made underline
> > width 1/18 of font height.
>
> About this patch:
> you added a _double_ to KoTextStringChar. This doubles the size of that
> struct (from 12 to 24), which doubles the amount of memory KWord (or
> KPresenter) needs for a given text!!!
>
> This is really a bad solution. KoTextStringChar is very critical in terms
> of memory (do you really need to store this value in every character?).
Well, I haven't thought about this. And recently I had not enough time to work
on it further.

> I think the width of the underline is something for KoTextFormat.
It won't work when we want underline width to be an average. Maybe somehow use
integer value?

> Which forces to go for a "difference in line widths when different font
> sizes are used together" instead of the "calculating an average" solution
> (does any other word processor really do it that way?).

I don't know. But it was you who said that I should look at other WPs (idea,
not implementation).

> Thanks for reverting KoTextStringChar to its original size, this is very
> important.
Would 4 bytes for interger be acceptable?

Tomek