List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] New mime types in KOffice
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-12-13 18:00:07

On Friday 13 December 2002 18:15, David Faure wrote:

> On Friday 13 December 2002 17:45, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > In the past, new mime types for KOffice were created somewhere in KOffice
> > and then one day or another pushed to kdelibs. It would perhaps be better
> > if it could be made more systematic.
> >
> > I propose a directory koffice/mimetypes where all new mime types are
> > created. I also propose a directory koffice/mimetypes/kde31 where all
> > mime types only needed for KDE 3.1 will go, when the mime type is defined
> > in kdelibs CVS HEAD. (Of course kde32 will be added when needed and so
> > on.)
>
> Sounds very good. I assume that some autoconf magic would take care of
> not installing those mimetypes if KDE provides them (based on its version
> number).

Well, that is what I am planning, but I have not yet the autoconf magic.

> > If this way is accepted, I will put all current mime types defined in
> > KOffice in the new directory mimetype, before putting them in CVS HEAD
> > and in the new directory kde31. (Attached is the list of the mime types
> > defined in KOffice.)
>
> Don't move x-example.desktop :)
> (but renaming it to vnd.kde- might give the good example)

Well, I have thought that too after sending the message. ;-)

> > PS.: another possibility would be to put new mime types not in
> > koffice/mimetypes directly but in a sub-directory could new, current or
> > head.
>
> In fact I don't see why we would ever need mimetypes there, in something
> not called like a KDE release.
> For all the mimetypes you list, they should go into kdelibs in the HEAD
> branch, and into koffice/mimetypes/kde31. We don't need them in
> koffice/mimetypes/{head}, since people using head will get them from
> kdelibs.
> (We don't need to care about kdelibs > 3.1 and < today)

Well, I was more planning in steps. But may be you are right that it is better
to create directly the final state. (I can still keep the list of non-moved
mime types somewhere.)

And as for (future) KDE's message freeze, I had not thought that we could
already create the directory of the next version, without autoconf magic
first until the end of the message freeze.

> > PS2: it would perhaps be good if some of these mimetypes (for example
> > Kexi's) would change to the "x-vnd.kde" (for example
> > "application/x-vnd.kde.kexi") format before we have to change them later.
> > For them it is not too late, as for KWord for example.
>
> Yes.

Is there another candidate beside Kexi? Which other application was not yet in
KOffice 1.2?

Have a nice day/evening/night!