List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Explanation on WP vs DTP modes in KWord (Re: Kde-cvs-digest request for information)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-02 13:45:12

Am Montag, 2. Dezember 2002 00:24 schrieb David Faure:

> One could say "then we should get rid of the 'empty paragraph'", but in
> fact I don't see how (we need it to be able to type text).... it just seems
> broken to me to have a page-sized frame _and_ to position other frames
> on top of it, not using the main frame at all. The "page layout" mode
> allows to get rid of the notion of a "main frame" altogether.

Well, at least in Ventura it is very important to have a base page even if
there's no text in it (which is actually the case in that screenshot on
http://www.dtp-service.com/ventura/ventura_navigator.png). Without that base
page I wouldn't know how to position anything relative to the paper edge -- I
simply wouldn't know "where I am". Nor could I use column borders for
aligning elements. I also need to see the paper borders for "bleeds"
(explanation see other posting) and for setting crop marks. Not mentioning
that I may want to just add pages with normal text after such a thing.

Apart from that, I think for most users it will be just confusing why so many
things change only because they select a fax or envelope template ("there
must be something wrong"), to figure out what "page layout" means if there's
no page and so on.

Regards,

Thomas

--