List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Explanation on WP vs DTP modes in KWord (Re: Kde-cvs-digest request for information)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-12-02 11:36:25

On Monday 02 December 2002 10:16, Johannes Wilm wrote:
> 1. An Option in "If Text too long for Frame" -> "Resize last frame" -> "Grow
> upwards" (New feature)
Right, this sounds like a good idea.

> Then the header/footer/footnote/endnote-thing could be put in the scripts
> instead.
Doesn't matter how they are implemented. My point is that in the
mainframeset/header/footer/footnotes mode (aka WP), the frames for
all those things are automatically positionned and resized.
If you position yourself your frames (for a magazine-layout type of thing),
do you really want that inserting (probably by mistake) a footnote, will suddently
move and resize all your frames, to make room for the footnote at the bottom?
The point is also that we only support footnotes in the mainframeset....
concept which doesn't exist in the page layout mode.

Same thing with page margins: in WP mode, if you change your page
margins, the main text frames will adjust to follow that - as one would
expect from a word processor. But in DTP mode, you're free to put
frames where you want - none is "bound to the margins", so the page
margins actually make no real sense anymore in that mode.
(Think about the case where you _reduce_ the margins. Should any
frame "grow" to take advantage of this new additional space?
In WP mode yes, in DTP mode no).

> The script for inserting  footnote would look something like this (fake
> programming language):
It's actually much more complex than that, with the stacking of footnotes from
bottom to top, the overflowing footnote text onto the next page if the
footnote reference in the text is too far down in the page (so the footnote
text doesn't fully fit under it), etc.

> This should be an (almost) working script already. Then the text-layout-mode
> could simply be a template of an page-layout-mode with a "locked"
> center-frame (can be unlocked by right-clicking the border).
Please grep the code for ::WP and you'll see all the places where we had to
treat the two modes differently.

One example is "lower frame". In WP mode we prevent a frame from going
under the main frameset, since that would make it totally disappear, confusing
most users. In DTP mode there's no main frameset, so it's allowed to lower
any frame under any other frame.

Yes, internally there's mostly one single design for both modes. Which is
why it would be totally nonsense to split this into two applications.
Apart from the "auto positioning of main frames", the other differences are
small, mostly usability things (like the "lower frame" case).

> It would also mean that the Footnote-script cold be subclassed by DTP-people
> for other stuff, or just inorder to insert footnotes exactly how and where
> they want.
> Other scripts, like "current Date" could maybe be scripts that are imbedded in
> the Document itself, so one can modify/subclass one's Datescript and preserve
> the difference when someone else opens he file on their kword.
> If anyone implements the scripting and the growing-direction stuff I can try
> looking into converting several thngs into scripts (Some variables, "Table of
> Contents", etc.)
Your first assignment will be to actually implement scripting support :)

- --
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/
Get the latest KOffice - http://download.kde.org/stable/koffice-1.2/