List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Explanation on WP vs DTP modes in KWord (Re: Kde-cvs-digest request for information)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-02 10:49:49

Am Sonntag, 1. Dezember 2002 23:34 schrieb David Faure:

> > I think I start to understand what you mean. There are text-oriented and
> > layout-oriented documents. And the border between the two is blured.
>
> It's actually pretty clear IMHO: in the first one, it's the contents (the
> text) that determines how many pages there are. In layout-oriented mode,
> the users decides where frames are and how many pages there are, and then
> fills those with text - so the primary factor for "how many pages there
> should be" is the user's own, manual, decision. Of course it's still
> possible to have the overflowing text create new pages in the 2nd mode.

Sorry for being so dumb but I still don't understand why it would be necessary
to have extra modes for something like this. The user can always draw frames
manually on base pages if (s)he wants to have all text in frames. OK, there
may be cases when (s)he does not want to see margins, columns etc., therefore
it would be great if we could hide them. But in many or most cases it is
actually helpful to see columns, margins etc. and use them as a grid for
adjusting the frames (esp. if the borders are "magnetic").

If the user actually does not want to have any text in base pages or to
automatically add new pages when importing text it would be enough, IMO, to
have some sort of "disable base page" or "unchain base pages" feature or a
"lock" analogous to the "don't automatically add new frames" feature we
already have (AFAIK, can't check at the moment).

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org
Deutsche KDE-Uebersetzung: http://i18n.kde.org/teams/de