List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Explanation on WP vs DTP modes in KWord (Re: Kde-cvs-digest request for information)
From:       Johannes Wilm <johanneswilm () yahoo ! no>
Date:       2002-11-30 14:16:26

On Saturday 30 November 2002 12:24, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> Also there is Scribus (http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/) which looks
> pretty promising with regard to those specialized requirements already. (It
> even allows manual kerning, AFAIK). I sometimes wonder if it couldn't be
> either integrated into KOffice (taking over the more specialized DTP and
> especially the page layout stuff from KWord) or if KWord couldn't at least
> "borrow" some of the Scribus achievements to avoid duplicate work.

Scribus has quite some serious drawbacks as well:
1. copy-and-paste is incompatible with anything else than scribus - importing
tet is almost only possible by saving the text into a *.txt file
2. font handling is a mess
3. the "superior" printer handling is a mess
4. it is not true WYSIWYG, b/c the fonts are not drawn with the right spacing
5. frames that are being put anwhere ouside the pages are simply lost (but
fill up space in the saved document)

All things have been reported, but Franz doesn't agree that they are problems
at all. Also the code is not documentet in english, so its really only
something he himself and (almost) noone else can figure out.

-- Johannes Wilm