List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Explanation on WP vs DTP modes in KWord (Re: Kde-cvs-digest request for information)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-30 19:13:26

Am Samstag, 30. November 2002 19:30 schrieb Dirk Schönberger:

> I had not the impression that either KWord or Scribus were after the
> page-by-page and graphics intensive stuff. IMHO they mostly are separated
> by their support of typographical constructs, but both are mostly of the
> text oriented kind.
> But I could be wrong.

Well, I could be wrong as well. But I'm under the impression that KWord's page
layout mode tends to better suppport work on a page-by-page basis. Of course
it allows "chaining" frames together on separate pages but since it does eg
"not  know what a header, a footer and a column" is (as Nicholas put it) I
think it's certainly working under another paradigm than it does in its text
oriented mode and that this "paradigm" (approach, way of thinking) is more of
the sort "creating individual pages that look graphically interesting" than
"make a bigger document as uniform as possible".

Whatever we call those different approaches, I think most potential KWord
users will probably be confused that the same program works in two different
ways. I also think that almost every user will understand the text-oriented
mode very easily while most of them will hardly come to terms with the page
layout thing (certainly not without a more intensive read of documentation
than we can usually expect).

That's how I arrive at the conclusion that the things that are unique to the
"page layout mode" (as re-arranging separate pages) should be either
integrated in the rest of KWord (eg by changing the document structure view
to something like the Ventura Navigator) or moved to another app which
follows another approach, eg Scribus. Main thing, IMHO, would be to avoid
having "two different ways of thinking" in the same program to a degree that
makes KWord to some people two different programs under the same name.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org