List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Explanation on WP vs DTP modes in KWord (Re: Kde-cvs-digest request for information)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-30 18:03:51

Am Samstag, 30. November 2002 15:38 schrieb Sean McGlynn:

> It's a shame really as I think Scribus as part of KOffice would be really
> nice. Then again I guess there would be some overlap with KWord's features,
> so perhaps it might just confuse things! Dunno :-)

I'm often pretty unsure in this regard as well. Would two different apps be
any clearer than two "modes" of the same app? I tend to think so but I'm
certainly biased by the fact that I already know this situation pretty well
from the "big DTP apps". There were always programs in this area that
concentrated more on text-oriented, long and consistently structured
documents and could at the same time make a pretty good WP (like Ventura and
FrameMaker). These programs were usually preferred by type setters and
professional book publishers. And there were other programs that concentrated
more on page-by-page layout and graphics intensive stuff (like PageMaker and
XPress). These were preferred by graphics designer types with a "pasteboard
approach". In KOffice, the first one could be KWord, the other one Scribus.

Although there's some tendency to create all-rounders now (such as the latest
Ventura versions, InDesign, or XPress + its many Xtensions) there is still a
tendency for such programs (as among their users) to either "think in
documents" or to "think in pages".

Regards,

Thomas

--