List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Explanation on WP vs DTP modes in KWord (Re: Kde-cvs-digest request for information)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-11-30 17:41:07

On Saturday 30 November 2002 17:51, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
(...)
> > (But do not forget: we need to use QPicture in a way or another for
> > compactibility to KWord/KPresenter 1.1. That makes it pretty hard to
>
> discard
>
> > QPainter.)
>
> I had the impression that KOffice used its own KoPicture, instead of
> QPicture,
> i.e everything was rendered directly to an bitmap/image, instead of to some
> kind of Metafile?

Let's say: KoPicture is the car and QPicture is one of its engines. ;-)

No, seriously, KWord/KPresenter 1.1 uses QPicture. If someone loads an old
document with some of it, we need to use KoPictureClipart, which is
QPicture-based. KoPicture is the black box around it, KoPictureClipart is the
class that does the work inside the black box.

All other formats (QImage-based, EPS, SVG, WMF) can be converted, as we know
them. But QPicture's format has no doc (except code) and we have at least two
sub formats to support (QT 2.2 and Qt 3.)

Perhaps it is just annoying and not really a problem, but we must take care of
it, somehow.

> Regards

Have a nice day/evening/night!