List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: New RTF export filter for KWord
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-01 23:44:24

> The new filter is a mix between the HTML and AbiWord export filters, filled
> in with RTF keywords. Some parts are still not converted (grep for "###
> TODO" or "#if 0" )
Excellent ! I have a look and it seems really great.

> The filter supports or is prepared to support:
> - escaping characters (including Unicode)
So far, I have tested with some foreign characters, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew
(thanks David), and looks good.

> - character formatting
Pretty much complete, right ? I just fixed color problem, added support for
shadow and MS Word's highlight color. Regarding underline, to support more
sophisticated underline style (dash, dot dash, etc) some part of libexport's
TextFormatting needs to be modified. I'll do this work, i.e adding
underlineStyle and underlineWord, if you don't mind.
Another feature request for KWord hackers: please make shadow as character
property (not for the whole paragraph) and also new underline linestyle:
"wave".

> - paragraph formatting, a.k.a. layout
Most important stuff is already there, like alignment, indent, etc.

> - styles
I've added explicit ("force") formatting mark-up before each paragraph, based
on style used in that paragraph. From a few tests, it appears than both KWord
(from RTF import filter) and MS Word won't format a paragraph that only
specifies the style it uses without giving explicit formatting. Example from
MS Word:
   \s23\qc\nowidctlpar\adjustright \b\f23 {This paragraph uses style COOL
even though style #23 ('COOL') is already defined as bold, centered, and so on

> - pictures
So far so good. With respect to other kind of unsupported picture (else than
BMP, JPEG, PNG, or WMF), is it possible to convert it to PNG first that save
the picture stream ? I'm not familiar with picture stuff in KWord but will
have a look. Feel free to give me hints or pointers :-P

> - variables
Not completed but shouldn't be too difficult. I have just added hyperlink
support. Later I will try to focus on variables which are already recognized
by the RTF import filter.

> (- lists?)
> Work has to be done mainly on:
> - lists/chapter numbering
I don't really come into this yet. I will have to look again the spec and SW
code. In addition, I heard RTF from MS Word 79 has also some differences/own
definitions.

> - character formatting (also layout/style): for example currently we
> generate \b0 and \b1, it would better to use \b (or nothing) normally and
> \b0 only when really needed.
Yes, this is generally need more "touches".

With the current state of RTF export filter, I'm really quite happy to
continue excellent Nicolas' work. I'll appreciate any comments, flames,
patches, test reports, helps, etc.

Hopefully the new filter will be kick-ass and soon we can disable the old one.