List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: The road goes ever on
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2002-10-29 12:49:45

> While I highly appreciate idea of using ImageMagick in KDE/KOffice, what
about
> converting PNG->EPS using GhostScript?

Do you really mean the conversion of PNG, i.e. image / lower level
representation to
EPS, i.e. vector data / higher level representation?

I don't think Ghostscript is the right tool for this job, because its main
goal is mostly reversed, i.e. the conversion of vector data / Postscript
calls to a rendered image.

> BTW:  what GS can't do is to convert SVG or WMF to EPS.  You indeed may
> want to use ImageMagick for that task.  SVG support in ImageMagick is not
> perfect, but WMF support is quite good!

Ghostscript is an Postscript interpreter, i.e. its main purpose is
interpreting Postscript. EPS, Adobe Illustrator fileformat and to a certain
extent PDF (Portable Document Format) are Postscript deriatives.

SVG and WMF clearly aren't. There may be some resemblances in the SVG and PS
rendering model, but nothing at the language/syntax level.

For WMF support, what is the state of support of WMF in QPicture? QPicture's
goal seem to be a similar goal as WMF, i.e. a meta file format containg
render API calls.

Dirk