List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Krita && gcc 2.9.5
From:       Andy Fawcett <andy () athame ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-10-25 7:51:31

On Thursday 24 October 2002 14:58, Werner Trobin wrote:
> On Thursday 24 October 2002 13:54, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > FYI:
> > I get an 'Internal compiler error.' compiling with
> >     zander@duvel:zander$gcc -v
> >     Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.4/specs
> >     gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)
>
> 2.95.4 has never officially been released, and it's known to be
> broken. Please either use 2.95.3 or a real compiler like 3.2.1 :-)

This idea, while valid, may cause problems on some systems.

For example, on FreeBSD, the compiler is part of the base system, and is
not (easily) replacable. And in FreeBSD 4.7, released a couple of weeks
ago, we get 2.95.4 (yes, I know that version does not exist!) as
standard.

[tap@zappa tap]$ gcc -v
Using builtin specs.
gcc version 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]

Having said that, I've yet to see an "Internal compiler error" from this
system, most likely because it is a later CVS snapshot than the one
used by Debian.

The problems I have had with Krita *are* 2.95.x related, it is true, but
Patrick has been looking at them and trying to make the code less
standard compliant so that it will work on the earlier compilers.

A.

--
Andy Fawcett      |   "In an open world without walls and fences,
andy@athame.co.uk |      we wouldn't need Windows and Gates."