List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Karbon14] Out of order undos, tools
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2002-09-26 7:41:23

> > I don't know. I like my documents to be easily transferable. If I have
> > store them
> > in a special repository, it somehow it's againts its purposes.

> I never said it had to. You can still edit your files you have in CVS
normally
> as well, right?
With "editing" I mean put them into another directory, because I want to
create several independent versions of it.
Lastly I checked moving files in CVS was rather cumbersome, and you lose the
history of changes, at least if you don't resort to script hacking in the
CVS repository.

> > I think there are uses for this approach, like in a Document Management
> > System.
> > This doesn't mean that it should be implemented on a per-application
basis.

> Ehh, I agree; but I must be misunderstanding you since I understood you
wanted
> to implement it in karbon, which you say here is what should not be done..
> *shrug*
I think I would want to implement it in Karbon, but hopefully only as proof
of concept.
The Open Office folks implement such features at the Open Office/library
level, as far as I undertood. In Open Office these command history is part
of the meta data of a Open Office document (or at least this is how I
understood it).
And this is just the "start from a base DOM and simply story the change
commands" instead of the "store every change to the document as change
list".
To implement this CVS style, you would have to write a CS "plugin" (if this
is possible at all) which understands the KOffice storage method (ZIP files)
and plugs to the KOffice/Karbon storage method of change actions. I don't
think this would feasible.

Regards
Dirk