List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Tools and plugins
From:       kudling () kde ! org
Date:       2002-09-25 6:40:11

> For example, I think that a tool to create a shape should be given access to
> mouse events from the canvas, and somewhere to draw its thing. This is

Well, we introduced mouseButtonPressed() mouseDragged() by intention: to
avoid that all tools reimplement much of thos lowlevel code over and
over again. What is missing there?

> the level of abstraction comes in. The tool would stick points in a buffer of
> sorts, and, while that tool is still being used (dragging a circle across)
> those points would be drawn on the canvas using the blue preview painter.

What kind of points?

> Once the tool receives the correct mouse/keyboard events, it should say so,
> and the buffer would be used to do the command creation for undo proccesses,

You mean, what accept() does currently?

> A modifying tool should also have its own class. It would be given
> mouse/keyboard events, and a copy of (not a pointer to..) the object(s) that

Yes, hiding the implementation detail document()->selection()->objects()
doesn't hurt.

> At no time should the tool have to deal with anything underlying. Things that
> are common to the tool classes should be done automatically by the base
> class.

Agreed.

Bye
Lenny