List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Lotus 123 import filter
From:       Tim Colgate <koffice () mettalogic ! uklinux ! net>
Date:       2002-08-26 11:41:29

On Monday 26 August 2002 7:25 am, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> > Is anyone working on, or has anyone worked on a filter to import Lotus
> > 123 release 4 spreadsheet files (*.wk4) into kspread? I couldn't find any
> > description of the file format on the web, although I did find some info
> > on the earlier Lotus 123 file formats.
>
> Nobody has worked on this, so feel free to contribute. As for the file
> format, IIRC wotsit.org has some pointers to Lotus 1-2-3 file format,
> although I'm not sure it's version 4. I think I'll have a look at my local
> copy of the format. If you need it, please let me know so I can send you
> the file.
I already have some info on the Lotus 123 file format. Unfortunately it is all
pre-release 4. As an example, in 123R4 the codes for formula and text seem to
be 0x19 and 0x16 respectively. Prior to this they were 0x10 and and 0x0F. If
you have a doc which shows the code for formula as 0x19 I'd be very
interested to see it.

> > I had a go at reverse-engineering the .wk4 format, and can recognise
> > text, numbers and formulae (not complete); but there is no point spending
> > a lot of time on this if someone has done this already.
>
> OTOH, you can have a look at Gnumeric's 1-2-3 importer, which does a good
> job already.
I've just downloaded gnumeric 1.09. From the code it looks like it only
supports the earlier format of 123. It seems that OpenOffice's v1.0 scalc
also only supports the earlier version of 123.