List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: unicode char in KWord
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-08-24 20:01:57

On Samstag, 24. August 2002 12:18, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> I need help. I use KWord to import a test WordPerfect document, which have
> Unicode quotes characters, U201F and U201E respectively. Using Helvetica,
> Arial, or Courier New, these 2 characters don't appear. They show up only
> in Unifont.
>
> My question: does Qt automatically handling things like this ? I mean, I
> load document with  many Cyrillic (and Hebrew) characters and it's just
> fine (using either Arial or Helvetica). Why do simple quote characters pose
> a problem ? Am I missing something ?

QT does not do any magic thing with those characters. Either they are in your
font or they are not.

You could have the same problem with for examples the non-breaking space,
m-dash, n-dash, m-space and n-space

QT only "merge" fonts by character range: Latin (1,2,3,...), Greek,
Cyrillic...

I think the main function for this is QFontPrivate::scriptForChar in
$QTDIR/src/kernel/qfont.cpp

If you want more information, you could try to browse into the archives of the
kfm-devel mailing list. Konqueror/KHTML has/had the same problem.

Have a nice day/evening/night!