List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice rc1 bidi tests results (long)
From:       Laurent Montel <lmontel () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-08-18 11:29:00

Le Friday 16 August 2002 23:58, Diego Iastrubni a écrit :
> Hello all

Hi,
Thanks for this report.

> I wrote a small article in which I describe how far is the koffice suit
> from being used in hebrew desktops. The original article is in hebrew, but
> I will do me best to translate it to you.
>
> First of all: I have been using kde3 since beta1, and even tried alpha. The
> same for all koffice suites. since I do need a hebrew capable work
> processor (IBM released a patch for sun's open office, but its not
> perfect). The changes are really big between versions, from small bugs to
> the big ones, you almost addressed them even though they were not
> submitted. If you want a big list of them please ask and I will provide
> them. On this list I will only put the relevant to the rc1. I know that
> some are configuration problems, but still I will tell them to you.
>
> I am using a Mandrake 8.1 desktop computer, with kde 3.01 and qt 3.04.The
> h/w is an AMD XP 1600+, 256MB ram. Quite a fast desktop machine. All
> packages are mdk rpm found on the net nothing compiled on my own (a normal
> desktop it is).
>
> kword
> -------
> * selecting text with the keyaboard takes too much time, like the processor
> is stressing when doing it.
> * fonts ending with (xtf) did not render hebrew (altough the same files
> without xft did) while on the font dialog they did display hebrew.
> (iso8859-8)
> * some other fonts were displayed OK on the font dialog, but on the main
> window they were not displayed. I am talking about fonts like elmar-fonts
> which configure themselves as some (not one) font name.
> * fonts were displayed on screen but not on the print preview (the same
> fonts).
> * tab key does not indent a paragraph but adds "a few spaces".
> * when indenting a paragraph (in hebrew) the word wrap is still made
> according the original line size, and not the (linesize-indentsize).
> * no way to choose the direction (not alignment) of a paragraph. currently
> it is done automagicly by the first char of the paragraph. Works most of
> the time but not always wanted. Actually this affect all kde.
> * keyboard shortcuts missing (I am used to them from ms-word) ctrl+[]
> decrease or increase font size, ctrl+r, ctrl+l, ctrl+m right justify, left
> justify, center text.

CTRL +> or CTRL +< to increase/decrease font size.
CTRL + ALT + Key_C : align center
CTRL + ALT + Key_R : align right
CTRL + Key_J : align justified
CTRL + Key_L : align left

> *tables: while they are rendered correctly now (mostly) there are some
> small bugs: one pixel not drawed, one frame is not drawed, on print preview
> it is rendered OK. BTW: the first cell is the left or the right cell?
> * tables 2: please make the default cell one with frames. default koffice
> does not show the frame borders (in view menu) so it makes it difficult to
> understand what is going on
> * tables 3: how do I get into the table without the mouse? with the
> keyboard I could not get it...
> * tables 4: tab does not do as expected (move to next cell, if non
> available make a new row.
> * importing: I tested this file:
> http://iglu.org.il/pub/Hebrew/GPL_Hebrew.rtf it was loaded, but rendered
> badly. I understand that .doc file were removed from this version.
>
> **** bullets and list are still messed up, this is a must for the official
> version ***
>
> kspread
> ----------
> * in excel when a new sheet starts with an RTL letter it's mirrors it self
> making the first cell in the right and the scroll bar in the left. I did
> not notice how important it is until I worked in excel which does it. It is
> important.
> * inside cells, text starting with hebrew should be right aligned by
> default the same way that numbers are done. This is the default beheaviour
> of all qt based programs.
> * functions incompability: I passed to the month() function a cell,
> expecting to get the month in that cell (a1="30/3/2002", a2="month(a1)", a2
> should display "March"). Works on openoffice and excel and does not work in
> kspread. Really needed function.
> * how do I make a 3 and above dimensional chart? a two dimensional was
> easy.. but above did not do as expected.
> * properties of a cell is alt+ctrl+f, 3 keys for a simple function excel
> does it with a simpler key combination ctrl+1.
> * importing: I tried two xls, one is a small joke which you enter a few
> strings and then it writes "GOTO WORK", it crashed kspread when I actually
> filled all the fields I should. I can forward it to you if you want. The
> second is: http://www.israrail.org.il/excel/schedules.zip (national
> israelis' rail road schedules if you really want to know), which on
> opneoffice does not load (password) and in kspread does not load and
> crashes it.
>
> kpresenter
> -------------
> * have program. too much IMHO. sometimes it has some seconds it just waits
> and then it continues to work (after running a presentation for example) *
> missing wordart (well in kword as well...)

wordart... it's right.

> * in text box, when I type hebrew it's right aligned by default but when
> saving it's saved left aligned. I have to change it manually.

Strange ok I will look at it today.

> * animation speed delay for each can not be configured. animation is done
> quite primitive actually.
> * fade is needed as a animation and effect for changing pages
> * the changing pages effects arequite hard to understand and use
> * when showing the presentation the bottom part of the screen is not filled
> with the background but left black.
> * Some effect were showed twice in a small presentation I made, I can mail
> it if it is needed.

Could you mail it in private please.

> Basicly I think that next version (not 1.2) will be ready for all them
> geeks which use only linux at home. Next major version *maybe* will be
> ready for full time usage by bidi users around the world. Currently the
> next version will not be able to make small articles for schools, or simple
> forms (I did a few in msword, I would love it if kword will be able to do
> them as good as msword or better).
>
> Thanks for the great software.
>
> - diego

Reagrds.