List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Kpresenter memory use
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-07-25 21:47:37

> From: Nicolas Goutte <nicog@snafu.de>
>
> If you try using KOffice 1.2 Beta 2, you will perhaps gain a little memory
> but not much.
>
> The problem is that each image is stored 3 times (as a QImage, as raw data
> and as QPixmap.) Additionally in KPresenter, you create another QPixmap for
> each image to create the effects. (And yes, all these at the loading of the
> file.)
>
> I have tried to reduce the number of duplications, but I do not see any
> way, as the possible solutions are much slower.

Well, this is really a big problem of kpresenter, otherwise it's a *very* nice
app. As I created an approx. 30-page presentation all my 128 MB RAM were
completely used and a considerable amount of swap space.
It wasn't fast anymore, due to the swapping. So I am not sure whether creating
as much as possible on demand would be really slower in the end.

Maybe some kind of "cache" could help ?
I.e. only keep up to maybe 10 pages in all three required formats in memory
(least recently used, most often visited ones,...) and create the others on
demand.

Stupid question: why are all three formats required ?
I don't know much about images/pixmaps, but I guess the different
pixmaps/images are needed for doing different things. So, maybe it wouldn't
hurt to much to keep only the format always in RAM which is used for the most
often executed function ?
The other formats which are then created on demand could be freed after a
timeout.

Bye
Alex

P.S. If there were at least 28 hours per day, I would give it a try myself...