List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: quick question.
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-07-21 15:32:05

On Saturday 20 July 2002 19:54, Jesse Bisnette wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A friend of mine and I are working on a proposal for a new way of dealing
> with that inital dialog box.  I talked to Aaron and he said he would like
> to see it when we're all done.  Anway, I wanted to ask a quick question.  I
> added a new File menu item in koMainWindow, but I don't want it to show up
> in every app ... specifically not in those that do not have templates
> (kivio, kontour, karbon).  Is there a way to shut certain menu items off?
> I would have done it in each individual app, but I wasn't sure if it would
> have placed it in the proper place.  I want the item to show up between
> "New" and "Open".  I am very very new at this, so any help would be greatly
> appreciated!!
>
> Thanks,
> Jesse

The direct answer is to add a
	hidden="true"
in the .rc file

But the action is something _all_ KOffice applications have, since they should
all work in the same way. For that reason the action is in the koffice
library, and not defined per application.

If you are looking into this dialog (and I really like to see alternatives :)
please take into account the changes made since the last release (where it
remembers the last choice made) and the things we want to extend the dialog
with. In future versions the dialog should also manage wizard-like
templating.

IMO a good dialog can be based on some ideas I put in former emails; lets draw
it out to make it more alive.
If you disagree, fine. But at least I will save you some time thinking about
alternatives; here is one :)

some things that still need words;
- - the Recent tab shows about 10 icons of the last edited files.
- - we auto select the icon we opened last. (even if it is from the recent tab)
- - we show 'open' in the wizard if no 'scriptable' template is chosen.
- - we show 'next' in the wizard otherwise

Since we select the icon used the last time, pressing space or enter will just
do the default action.  This is no different from the current dialog.

We show the dialog on startup and on 'file->new' and 'file->close'

This dialog can be used for all KOffice application. The ones with no
templates only get the Recent tab and a template called 'empty'.

Cheers!
- --
Thomas Zander                                           zander@planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be

["new_window.ui" (application/x-designer)]