List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Library for MS Word filters (again)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-07-20 21:13:50

On Samstag, 20. Juli 2002 01:53, T.J. Mather wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> > We're unwilling to relicense it as we are an Apache project and we seek
> > to remain commercially friendly in addition to being free.  (arguing
> > these points with me is useless, although I founded the project, I defer
> > such decisions to those who know about such things, I'm but a simple
> > programmer and do not possess that abillity)
>
> Well with a dual ASL/GPL license you could be free, commercially friendly,
> and GPL friendly.  This would make everyone happy and make POI as widely
> used as possible.  Yes, point taken, I'll address this with the ASF.
>
> It turns out that KSpread is GPL and KWord is LGPL.  So it appears that we
> can't link POI to KSpread unless we fix the license issues.
> See http://developer.kde.org/documentation/licensing/licensing.html

If the value of the spreadsheet would be saved into the KSpread document, you
would not even need to link to KSpread.

KOffice filters are not linked to the main program, apart for KSpread's export
filters, when the calculated values are needed.

I suppose that the best solution would still be (as I have written on the
koffice mailing list) to allow separate programs as filters. In that case you
would not need QT at all, but any other suitable XML parser (libxml2?)
Therefore it should be license-clean even for the most critic user.

However, all these seem to be to-dos for KOffice 1.3.

> -TJ

Have a nice day/evening/night!