List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Unified pictures in file format (KWord/KPresenter)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-06-13 20:18:33

On Thursday 13 June 2002 15:24, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 13 June 2002 14:18, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 June 2002 12:28, David Faure wrote:
> > Yes, KWord's file formats has problems. But we will not get rid of the
> > KOffice 1.2 format that soon.
>
> Right.
>
> > > * The file format will very probably change after KOffice-1.2.
> > > The idea would be to adopt a common file format for all opensource
> > > office suites. Given the work OpenOffice has done in that direction,
> > > its file format would be a good starting point for that, but work is
> > > needed to create a real standard, that would also incorporate any
> > > features that KWord has and OO doesn't have, plus any features that
> > > other suites have, plus future features, etc. ;)
> > > This is the idea that we discussed at LinuxTag (the German governement
> > > is doing a study on this and is apparently willing to help the
> > > development afterwards).
> >
> > Well, sorry!  However, I am surprised about this new position, which
> > differ much from what was written the last time to the Office Standard
> > mailing list.
>
> Well, nothing is decided yet, and I have the right to change my mind on
> something, that doesn't mean I'll force my opinion on others. I just
> mentionned that this _MIGHT_ happen. The main reason we didn't do this yet
> is lack of manpower. If we receive help, as in: manpower, don't you think
> it would be a really GREAT thing for the future of office suites, for
> users, for Linux etc. if we could establish a common file format for all
> office suites (opensource ones at first, maybe commercial ones might then
> join?).

Yes, "might"! That is the whole problem put in one word.

We *might* have a common file format, we *might* adopt it, we *might* have
additional developers to help us, we *might* get some euros from the Federal
Republic of Germany, we *might*...

Until we "have", we must take care about our own file formats, including
thinking at their future, if possible.

In any case, yes, a working common file format would be great.

> > However, we are always talking about word processors. I have never seen
> > anything about KPresenter.
>
> Right. The focus of this "possible unification" is on Word Processors up to
> now.
>
> > My idea was not beautifying the format. My idea was that on that point
> > KWord/KPresenter 1.3's file format would work for the 1.2 version too.
>
> Ok then.

Meanwhile, I have found a solution, ranging from KOffice 1.2 to 1.4.

In KOffice 1.3, we introduce <PICTURES> and <PICTURE>, at saving for non-image
non-clipart pictures. KOffice 1.2 should be able to load this type of file.
At load, we must be able to load all three sorts (image, clipart or other
type) from only <PICTURES> and <PICTURE> to be compatible with the next step.

In KOffice 1.4, we switch totally to <PICTURES> and <PICTURE>. KOffice 1.3
should be able to load this type of files. However KOffice 1.2 would need
modified files.

> > Switching to a total new format can be long, as the filters need to be
> > changed too. As the manpower for writing KWord filters is well below the
> > one for KWord, I wonder how we will be able to do it. (If you are
> > wondering about what I am telling, just look at the KWord's RTF export
> > filter. Half of the filter is not working because it still wants files in
> > KWord 1.1 format!)
>
> This is a very good point, I'll keep it in mind in future discussions about
> a file format switch. Note that a common native file format means that the
> 3 projects can completely unite the efforts on writing the filters though,
> which means 3 times more manpower.

That is the theory, unfortunately.

The pratice is:
- 3 different filter systems
- 3 word processors with different capabilities (OpenWriter is more MS Word
oriented, KWord has DTP stuff, AbiWord is simplier (no tables) and is more
cross-platform oriented.)

Have a nice day/evening/night!