List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: File format (was Re: [RFC] Unified pictures in file format (KWord/KPresenter))
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-06-13 20:16:12

On Thursday 13 June 2002 18:00, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> > Switching to a total new format can be long, as the filters need to be
> > changed too. As the manpower for writing KWord filters is well below the
> > one for KWord, I wonder how we will be able to do it. (If you are
> > wondering about what I am telling, just look at the KWord's RTF export
> > filter. Half of the filter is not working because it still wants files in
> > KWord 1.1 format!)
>
> As I wrote a few of KWord filters, I really like to know which filters
> don't work because of format problem. As a matter of fact, since those
> export filters rely on libexport, wouldn't be a problem ? Or am I missing
> something here ?

As written: the current RTF export filter for KWord.

It does not support <VARIABLE> correctly for example. It wants the children of
<VARIABLE> directly as children of <FORMAT>. That is KWord 1.1's output, not
KWord 1.2's output. There are other such problems in this filter, but it is
the problem that I have in mind. (That was also why I thought that the whole
filter should be replaced completely. However now we are in feature freeze...
:-( )

Otherwise, I am not fool enough to think that migrating libexport to a
OpenWriter type of file format would work easily. Libexport is rather file
format dependant and OpenWriter has a really different file format.

> Ariya

Have a nice day/evening/night!