List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: RTF export filter for KWord
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-05-30 20:12:53

On Thursday 30 May 2002 18:08, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> > Make a new filter from either AbiWord or HTML export filters and fill it
> > with the code of the current RTF filter. I think it should be easier and
> > cleaner to do it this way. (And you could do it step by step.)

I think the best one would be the AbiWord export filter. The HTML one is a
little more complex and has a dialog.

The AbiWord filter has already some code for exporting KWord's
variables (which cannot be exported at all to HTML.) However, support for
table exists only in the HTML filter (as AbiWord has no tables.)

> This is a great idea indeed. I am working on it, but I will just commit it
> later when it reaches a stage where the new filter is as good as the
> current one.

Please commit it before the 12th June 2002 if possible, as it is the feature
freeze date. (A new filter is a new feature. Modifying it later is not a new
feature. That was the rule of last year, I suppose it will remain the same
this year.)

However, you do not need to add the new filter on top of
filters/kword/rtf/export, just create a new sub-directory like
filters/kword/rtf/exportnew

This would have the advantage that you could be helped to write the new RTF
filter, while still leaving the possibility to release the old code in case
the new filter would not work well enough.

> Ariya Hidayat, ariya@tf.itb.ac.id, ariya@kde.org, ICQ# 30245835
> http://www.advogato.org/person/ariya
> Contributing to KOffice: http://www.koffice.org/

Have a nice day/evening/night!