List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [KPresenter] UI redesign
From:       Laurent Montel <lmontel () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-04-29 12:31:47

Le Monday 29 April 2002 14:18, Thomas Zander a écrit :
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 01:54:01PM +0200, Laurent Montel wrote:

> > > Takes away confusion from the user b/c the properties dialog(s) now do
> > > just one thing; change the object you selected.  No more 'Q:I changed
> > > the properties and nothing happened.  A:you have to select that object
> > > first'.

> > > There are some ways to do this; but after this change is commited we
> > > can look into which is best. The following comes to mind.
> > > - on creation show the dialog and save the changes for later creations.
> > > - add a combo to save a state and allow that to be used in other
> > > objects.
> >
> > It's not very easy to understand it.
> >
> > > - Simply save the setting each time the dialog is OK-ed and use those
> > > settings when creating a new object.
> >
> > No this method is not good, because each time we click ok we save
> > parameter. => default parameter will change each time we click ok
> > => it's not a default parameter.
> > => it's default parameter from last object !
> >
> > > - take more time to provide sane, hardcoded defaults.
> >
> > hardcoded defaults ? No good !
> >

> > no for me it's very important to provide default parameter for object.
> > With current design we can provide default parameter.
> > No nobody will understand how to provide default value.
> >
> > kpresenter use the same method as openoffice, when we don't select a
> > object we can define default value.
> >
> > Reagrds.
>
> Again; please check with people if they actually first set the defaults and
> then make the objects. Since that is the only way to use the defaults.
>
> In all my years of helpdesk and usability testing I never ones found a
> non-techy who did it with defaults.

Yes but there is some people we want to make default value no ?
For example : Polygon : I want to create a polygon with 5 line, I don't want
to redefine each time my conf.

> You may like it, but I want to bet that you are one of the very few.
>
> I suggest we apply the patch and when we have users in beta2 that miss the
> feature the suggestion of Percy can be added.
> Any problem with that?

For me :
"

Suggestion:

I add an entry under 'Settings' -> 'Configure KPresenter' with 4 Tabs
where you can set the default-settings for pie, rectangle, polygon and
picture. I think 'picture' won't make any sense, but let's give the user
the option...

"
it's a very good idea.
=> apply patch + this feature.