List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: More on kword text structure / levels
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-04-23 20:18:28

Hi Eva; sorry for slow reply..

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 07:51:27PM +0200, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while playing around with the latex/html export filters I found a
> inconvenience which I'd regard as a limitation that is not necessary (from
> the user point of view).
>
> In the stylist I can select "None", "List" and "Chapter" as numbering modes.
> If I select "chapter", then i can also choose the style and the depth. Well,
> in my understanding the depth should also be configurable for the other
> options as well.

Ehh; depth is an option available to all the numbering styles. Only the
ones that don't use something that can count are not allowed to use depth.
Do you propose to add a depth to a numbering style like a bullet?

> When I write a structured text (more than just a letter), I want to assign
> levels (or as it is called here: depth) to my headlines. The second step
> would be to configure the numbering style and the third, if I chose "chapter
> numbering" the style of the numbering. I'd also add another option "add to
> table of contents".
> This would correspond somwhat to the way this is handled in latex: A command
> like \section{title} creates a numbered headline, which is also part of the
> table of contents. With \section*{title} the headline is not numbered, but
> has the same style as the numbered version. It is not included into the table
> of contents. But it can always be added by using the command
> \addtotableofcontents{title}.
>
> The use of levels would be quite usable for users and filters would export the
> headlines correctly, also if they don't have a numbering.

In KWord the Chapter style numberings are used for the TOC, I agree that a
better approuch would be to allow some kind of grouping of numbering types
(chapter/listA/figures/tables etc) with one default type used for TOC entries.
Probably add the option to add personal types for that document.
This then replaces the Chapter/List selection at the top of the dialog.

IIRC this has been discussed about a year ago allready; but it seems nobody put
the time to it to actually fix it like that..