List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Kivio and Kugar?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-03-26 20:55:48

On Monday 25 March 2002 07:06, Nathan Murphy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Do Kivio or Kugar mean anything as names to anyone
> outside theKompany.  I suppose that if not, since
> Kugar is now just a component of KOffice and Kivio MP
> is theKompany's diagram program that there would be no
> objections to changing the names of both programs to
> something more meaningful.  I have noticed in the CVS
> that no one is really maintaining these packages
> anyway.  Sorry if such a suggestion steps on the toes
> of the people over at theKompany, but if they really
> care about the names so much maybe they would like to
> maintain and update these programs for us.
>
> I propose changing the name Kivio to Koncept.

For the record, I think it's a very bad idea to rename a program for no particular reason.
Threat of copyright infrigment lawsuit is a good reason. But "not meaningful"
isn't one. The name Konqueror doesn't say it's a web browser.
Kicker doesn't appear to be a panel. etc.
Users can find out what a program is about from its description in the K menu
anyway, now that the menu shows the GenericName of the app as well.
Renaming only leads to much work (code, documentation, website, translations etc.)
and confuses users.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/