List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice-1.2 release schedule
From:       Lenny <kudling () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-18 21:11:41

> > Well, not release quality yet.
>
> Well, please elaborate. The question isn't about now, it's about in 3
> weeks. Do you think you can make karbon in releasable shape for that date,

Having some perfectionistic tendencies, i would never include it in a
koffice-release. ;(

Seriously... all in all karbon needs some polishing of course. There are still
some basic but non-showstopper frontends/features missing. The provided
features do work quite fine. We already have at least one user doing almost
serious work with karbon (hey, Jonathan :) ).

Well, in commercial terms i'd say karbon is currently a 0.5 version. You have
to decide if it makes sense to include it. Maybe try in 3 weeks yourself, the
files in karbon/tests reflect the current features quite well.
What i want to avoid are millions of bug reports mentioning problems we are
obviously aware of already (missing or rough implemneted features because of
lack of time).

> and if not, should be the beta be delayed, or done without it (ok, your

Jesus, no. :)

> > I wouldnt be unhappy if karbon will be disabled. This prevents us from
> > getting too early bugreports.
>
> He meant: if Xft isn't available, should karbon be disabled?

Not necessarily. Being currently stuck with XFree86 3.x myself, i am just not
able to use fonts, the rest is still usable.

Bye
Lenny