List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice-1.2 release schedule
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-18 17:17:52

On Monday 18 March 2002 17:40, David Faure wrote:
> The current release schedule for KOffice-1.2 (previously discussed here,
> and described at
> http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/koffice-1.2-release-plan.html
> ) reads: the first beta is made on April 10 - i.e. in about three weeks.
>
> Is that still ok with everyone?
>
> What's the current status on the big rewrites, such as
> - Krita
> - Kontour
> - KPresenter
> - (any big plans from the new KSpread hackers?)
> ?
>
> and what's the status on the new stuff, such as
> - Filter architecture

Hmmm... I was in process of hacking a nice API for filters embedding other
filters and so on. This also needs a change in KoStore to support relative
URLs. The KoStore change is done, and I could commit it, but yesterday
Shaheed shocked me with a MS design stupidity. To make a long story short:
The embeddee and the embedder have to "talk" in both directions, which is
really ugly. I'm still thinking about a sane way to solve that :}

Maybe this hack will only be introduced in the olefilter, as I think no other
filter will need that special way of communication, but I'm not sure yet.

> - Karbon

From a build-system POV there are some unresolved issues. I have no idea if it
even compiles on Solaris, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible that it links
there. According to "rumors" Solaris doesn't have Xft. The Karbon guys would
probably have to implement the font stuff themselves and #if/#else this code.

I'd really like to have input on build breakages in karbon, as I tested it
only on my machine. If you want to report such an error, please include a
short description of your system, your freetype2 version (use freetype-config
--version to find that out) and the XFree86 version.

Karbon developers: I still didn't get an answer to my question what to do when
the requirements for building the font code aren't satisfied. Disable karbon
completely or leave it to you to #ifdef out this code? Note that you would
have to check whether it works w/o that code from time to time :-)

Ciao,
Werner