List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kword frameUnderMouse bug ?
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-02-27 19:54:01

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 05:22:55PM +0100, Frank Dekervel wrote:
> Op woensdag 27 februari 2002 16:17, schreef Thomas Zander:
> > The second problem I see in the frame selection code is that you can't
> > select a frame that is behind another.
> >
> > I think a better way to fix this is to get the first frame (like we do now)
> > and then keep searching for a possibly selected frame.
> > If no selected frame is found at that same position then the first is
> > returned. If we find a selected frame then we unselect it and then return
> > the first frame we find after the one that was selected.
> >
> > This way you have a state based selection algoritm that cycles through all
> > frames, and the inline frames will be shown, but will not pose a problem
> > since you can still select the other frame.
> >
> > This will have to be solved partly kwframe.[cc|h] probably with adding a
> > boolean (with default=off) to the 2 search methods called from the method
> > you state above.
>
> Hi,
> i have a little bit trouble parsing your mail, but i think the behaviour with
> the patch is already far better than without. To make it perfect, i would
> keep the patch, but extend it:
>
> if frame handles (for an inline frame) are already shown (its selected), you
> can click on the handles that 'should not be visible -- are behind another
> frame --',
>
> but i don't think there should be a way to select an inline frame that ain't
> already selected by clicking on handles/frame borders that ain't visible,
> since that would be confusing: suppose you have some text running around
> frame A, and an inline frame in frame A that is too big for frame A. if you
> click on the text right of frame A, you expect the text to be selected or
> edited, not the frame behind the text, right ? if you want i can send you a
> .kwd file to show my point.
>
> maybe we're just saying the same thing, but i don't quite get you right now.

Ahh, I think we are talking about different things here! Your patch is correct
except that you missed one things that I found obvious; but thats only because
I have been using KWord too long.
If you click on a frame holding the ctrl button it selects the frame, instead
of just entering it. I want to be able to select each and every frame on screen
like that.
The hidden embedded frame patch you wrote is correct, except that I want to be
able to select a frame thats behind the frame allready selected. Since in some
ways I am not able to select it directly.

So in this case its not complete; but that is what you were saying allready :)

Another thing is that if I put my pointer on top of the hidden embedded frame
the pointer changes to a hand. I don't have time to look at that right now; maybe
you have...

I really like you looking at this, and I will commit your patch except that
you maybe want to change some stuff; so if you think that I am wrong then this
is a good patch; otherwise please sent another patch :)

Dank je!