List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: table-borders printed with res of 100%
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-02-24 16:12:35

On Sunday 24 February 2002 11:47, Thomas Zander wrote:
> I was checking why some table (frames actually) borders are drawn a bit off-target.
> I found out that while printing the positioning system at 100% is used. And since
> those are pixels that is not very precise. (A page of 800 pixels wide on my machine)
> David; this is ehh; 'your code'. Why do we do the frame-layouting and border drawing
> at 100% zoom?

To be clear: this is totally unrelated to the "use the 100% zoom for font sizes during text layout"
change (it sounds related but it's not).

It's just that we're zooming back to 100% before printing, currently
(the zoom shouldn't depend on the current zoom level on screen, obviously).

So you're suggesting that we zoom to a more precise resolution before printing,
which makes sense. It's what I was trying to do in KOffice-1.1, but that's what caused
the famous "characters get squashed" bug, that was fixed in 1.1.1 by disabling
"zoom before printing". But we might not have this bug anymore with the WYSIWYG
changes (well, better not use pixmap fonts though).

What we should really do here is to set the DPI to the one of the printer.
I haven't tested yet whether QPrinter/KPrinter return valid values for the DPI
when printing. If it doesn't we can still choose a large DPI value when printing.
That way it's still the 100% zoom that is used, but with a large DPI value
the pixels become very precise.
See code in KWView::print(), it's all there, but disabled due to the kword-1.1 bug.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops