List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: table-borders printed with res of 100%
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-02-24 16:12:35

On Sunday 24 February 2002 11:47, Thomas Zander wrote:
> I was checking why some table (frames actually) borders are drawn a bit \
> off-target. I found out that while printing the positioning system at \
> 100% is used. And since those are pixels that is not very precise. (A \
> page of 800 pixels wide on my machine) David; this is ehh; 'your code'. \
> Why do we do the frame-layouting and border drawing at 100% zoom?

To be clear: this is totally unrelated to the "use the 100% zoom for font \
sizes during text layout" change (it sounds related but it's not).

It's just that we're zooming back to 100% before printing, currently
(the zoom shouldn't depend on the current zoom level on screen, obviously).

So you're suggesting that we zoom to a more precise resolution before \
printing, which makes sense. It's what I was trying to do in KOffice-1.1, \
but that's what caused the famous "characters get squashed" bug, that was \
fixed in 1.1.1 by disabling "zoom before printing". But we might not have \
this bug anymore with the WYSIWYG changes (well, better not use pixmap \
fonts though).

What we should really do here is to set the DPI to the one of the printer.
I haven't tested yet whether QPrinter/KPrinter return valid values for the \
DPI when printing. If it doesn't we can still choose a large DPI value when \
printing. That way it's still the 100% zoom that is used, but with a large \
DPI value the pixels become very precise.
See code in KWView::print(), it's all there, but disabled due to the \
kword-1.1 bug.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops