List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts about the "Open document" dialog
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-13 12:24:11

David Faure wrote:

::snip::

> > 3. I'm very pleased to see the large number of import filters that the user
> > can choose from.  But the problem with this is that, with so many filters,
> > the user will spend too long trying to find the appropriate filter :(  Maybe
> > they should be organised alphabetically or in order of frequency of use.
>
> Werner ? Can we add a connected.sort() at the end of
> KoFilterManager::mimeFilter, or is there some code that relies on the order
> of this list ?

Nothing relies on any order of that list. Feel free to add
it, I unfortunately won't have the time to do that in the
next few days.

> > 4. Why does the dialog have two "Microsoft Word document "'s and two
> > "Microsoft Excel spreadsheet"'s?  Really, those formats aren't that popular
> > :) :) :)
>
> That's probably due to the two mimetype namings for those type of files.
> Werner: if ( !connected.contains( t ) ) connected.append( t ) ? ;)

The problem is that we have two .desktop files, ms{word|excel}.desktop
and blah2.desktop. One contains the "plain" mimetype and one a vnd.foo
one. I'd suggest not to add that if statement above, but to remove
either one of the .desktop files. Then it has to be checked which one
the filter(s) refer to and adapt it. Alas, I won't have time to do that
either :(

> > 5. Sort of OT, but there should really be an option to start any of the
> > Office applications with a blank document, instead of popping up that
> > "Choose" dialog box that has three options (with the command line option
> "-n"
> > or "--newdoc" perhaps?).  MsWord has this feature...
>
> Yes - patch welcome :)

I assume the way MS does it is least surprising to users. On startup
it loads some default template (configurable?) and on File -> New it
pops up the template dialog.

Ciao,
Werner