List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Object model and scripting
From:       David Findlay <david_j_findlay () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-01-01 2:27:56

Would it be possible to create a scripting language for KOffice, that would
allow the scripting of various functions? For instance create an object
model, i.e. a cell in kspread would be

Application->Sheet(0)->Cell(A1)

and then that would have various properties that could be set from the
script. The create of the system wouldn't be all that hard because it would
just require the addition of variables and conditional operators. Everything
else would be acheived by calling various parts of the programs. It shouldn't
have access to anything outside the current document, or at least it should
be only read only access. This would fix the security problems. A perl style
syntax would make it easy and fast to program in and would greatly increase
the functionality of the software.

I'd like to be able to add menu's and menu options, add toolbar's and toolbar
buttons, as well as buttons in the documents to trigger various functions
inside the document. Is there any chance of such a system in the next version
of Koffice? A macro system that is based on the security first philosophy
would make things much better in the business side of Linux. Thanks,

David

P.S. Please CC me any reply to this thread.