List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: MSWord's strange linespacing (was: KWord's strange linespacing)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-12-19 0:00:54

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 21:35, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 09:19:29PM +0100, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > I have one question about this email that I feel offensive. Is for you
> > the developper of KWord's MSWrite import filter not a KOffice developper?
> >
> > If yes, then I can go away too. It is already bad that some changes in
> > KWord were done in the past without even warning developpers of filters.
> > But now, if we must hear that because we "only" do filters that we are
> > not KOffice developpers, then... good bye!
>
> Ehh, I missed something, _nowhere_ in the email is it ever said as you say
> above...

It is not written directly.

But when you do work with a MS format, you are bound with MS. I find it
pointless to "attack" someone through that.

We have already very few programmers in KOffice, therefore also for the
filters. Such a type of email can only block other potential programmers to
join us, because they fear to be "flamed" like that too at their first real
problem.

I know that a mailing list is not always polite and gentle and that sometimes
deep discussion must be done, like on kde-i18n-doc about two or three letter
codes for languages.

But to "flame" someone, after that technical reasons were given why KWord
works so and why the behaviour cannot be emulated, is purely gratuitous, or
at least I find it so.

> I am a bit dissapointed at your reply honestly; I do respect you and we see
> lots of good commits from you; how ever did we give you a reason to not

I am sorry to have dissapointed you. However thank you for the compliment!

> feel like a koffice developer? And one person's email can change your mind
> like that?

I am sorry but I am not sure how I should answer these questions... :-(

Let me simplify a little: it was too much on a bad day!

> I think he has a point but maybe Karl could have been a bit less obvious
> about that, my first reply to the message was saying something along those
> lines; but the playing with words might nog be a good idea on a
> multi-cutural ML...

I am not telling that the essence is wrong:
- You can think what you want about MS Word's (internal) quality.
- Converting between applications is hard and difficult and you will need
some compromises.

> ps. as your problem with changes in KWord; as a developer of the program I
> think of the future of the application; the problems with filesize and lots
> of other technical stuff. But be sure to remember that the filter writers
> _will_ have been considered in these decisions. If a commit has been made
> a long time before the next release I feel no need to immidiately inform
> the filter writers as CVS HEAD is very well suited for experimenting.
> btw; I liked how quickly you solved the problems back then!

I am sorry. I think I was unfair here.  The discussion about the
simplification of <LAYOUT> has shown that such discussion do happen and have
positive results for filters, as it was decided to postpone it.

> Now; back to hacking! :)

Happy hacking! :-)